Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Writing Update: July 2024


This month I’ve returned to book one of my upcoming fantasy trilogy to work on the developmental edit. These are the changes requested by the publisher pertaining to the big picture, structural elements like plot and character. It also can deal with midlevel adjustments, like wording.

In my case, my edits included reworking a couple of small sections for sensitivity to cultural triggers, toning down the romance, and rewriting a middle chapter. Some of the wording also needed fine-tuned for consistency, so I didn’t sound formal in one sentence and colloquial in the next. And of course, there were plenty of overused words that needed more variety. (Apparently, I had much to “offer” in this book. J)

But now that’s all done, and the book is headed to the copy editor. Among other things, she will get rid of all the stupid mistakes that make me look like I flunked high school English. Meanwhile, I will be returning to work on book two, because there is still plenty more story to tell.

No comments: