Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The Musings of a Misfit: Voiceless

About “The Musings of a Misfit”: Being a misfit is a lonely business. I know, because I am one. So through these reflections on some of the things I have wrestled with, the hope is others will find encouragement that they are not alone in their struggles. For more articles like this, sign up for my newsletter, Unboxed.

October 2020

No one really cares what I have to say.

I’m simply not smart enough or cool enough, wise enough or famous enough for anyone to care. After all, I’m just a nobody from nowhere—why should they pay attention to me with so many other people to listen to? People with credentials. Unlike me. I don’t even have a college degree.

It’s not that I don’t have things I want to say. I do. Many things. Some of which I believe are worth being heard. But when I try to speak up, my voice is drowned out, ignored, silenced.

So I doubt. Do I really have anything worthwhile to say? Friends and family say yes. But they are friends, they are family. They listen because they like me, not because what I am saying is interesting or helpful or valuable. Indeed, not even all of them listen. And if even those who love me and spend time with me have little interest in what I have to say, why would any stranger?

Maybe I am delusional, believing I have something worthwhile to say. Maybe I ought to shut up and let others do the talking. I am tired of feeling like I must shout to be heard. I’m tired of competing for people’s attention. Yet the desire to be heard will not go away, no matter how I squelch it.

I am torn, Lord, and I do not know what to do. Because I am essentially voiceless. I spend my days rearranging words, honing them, crafting them, with no way to make them heard.

Yet You hear me and You care. Can I truly claim to be voiceless when I have the ear of the Almighty God of the universe?

No comments: