Monday, January 13, 2020

New Year Reflections


January 7, 2020
My fellow booklover,

A new year has begun. Do you find that as hard to believe as I do? It seems not all that long ago that I compiled my goals for 2019, and now I face that same challenge for another year. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth the effort, especially after failing to meet my goals like I did this last year.

Yet that is the wonderful thing about a New Year. It is a chance to step back, take a deep breath, dream a little, reflect a little, and begin again.

Yes, I know. I’ve heard the naysayers too. How nothing really changes between December 31 and January 1. How most resolutions are broken within a week. How it’s just a bunch of psychological gobbledygook.

But is it? Is this changing of the calendar as insignificant as flipping a piece of paper? Or can it mean a little bit more?

Not that you or I won’t fail this coming year. We will. After all, I’m human. So are you. No, the point of a New Year is not to eradicate failure or deny that it will occur, to believe all our troubles are gone and everything will be perfect from now on. Rather, a new year is a gift of God, a chance to remember that His mercies are new, not just each year, but every morning.

And because of that hope, we can turn the page and begin again. Today. Tomorrow. And every day of the year to come.

Dreaming bigger, growing deeper,
Chawna

No comments: