Wednesday, December 5, 2018

December 2018 Writing Update



November saw a flurry of fiction writing as I decided to use NaNo WriMo (National Novel Writing Month) challenge to push myself. While I did not officially participate and I definitely didn’t shoot for the standard word goal, I did set a goal that I knew would force me to write much faster than my usual pace.

In the end I fell short of my goal by one chapter’s length, but I remain pleased with the progress made. I now have completed 25 chapters of a first draft, or what I estimate to be about two-thirds of a new book.

Of course, the draft is terribly messy. I already know of a couple of dozen things that will need to change and a dozen more scenes that will need to be added. But there are also many points which I loved, moments that have made me laugh or gasp or ache and which I suspect will end up in the final draft in some form. An overall structure to the story has also seemed to have emerged, strong and solid, on which I shall be able to build upon in coming months. Of course, only the coming months will be able to tell me if this is true or if this is only the euphoria of first draft speaking…

Due to this intense focus on my novel writing, I have made little progress on other areas of my writing. The one thing I can report is that I am officially registered as a vendor with MACHE (the Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators). So you will be able to find my booth, Imagination Investigation, at the St. Paul RiverCentre during April 12-13, 2019. I hope I will see a few of you there!

Finally, since the Christmas season is here, my Facebook page (@ChawnaSchroederAuthor) will be taking a break from my normal posts to share twenty-five rarely sung Christmas carols. So come like my page and join the fun!

No comments: