Tuesday, August 5, 2014

July 2014 Reading List


I like to read. A lot.

Reviewing, on the other hand, doesn’t rank anywhere near the top of my preferred ways to spend an afternoon.

That saddens me some. I don’t like reviewing, and so I only do one or two full reviews a month. But there are many great books out there—and I want to share them all with you.

Therefore, I’ve decided that perhaps a few of you might enjoy seeing  a list of what I’ve read each month, a snapshot of some great (and not so great) books I’ve been encountering. So here’s what I read in July:
 

Title: Rock Harbor: Lost & Found

Series: Rock Harbor Kids #2

Authors: Colleen Coble & Robin Caroll

Genre: Tween Suspense

Synopsis: A fourteen-year-old girl training for SARs seeks the truth behind her friend’s adoption and a school fire.

Review: The prose felt a bit choppy to me, but the plotting is solid and will provide many a preteen a good, suspenseful read.
 

Title: Dark Halo

Series: Angel Eyes Trilogy #3

Author: Shannon Dittemore

Genre: Teen Supernatural Suspense

Synopsis: An angelic war grows as the Dark Prince himself targets two supernaturally gifted teens.

Review: A solid, satisfying conclusion with some nice twists to a fascinating series. Well-worth reading as a teen or an adult.


Title: Silenced

Series: Alaskan Courage #4

Author: Dani Pettrey

Genre: Adult Romantic Suspense

Synopsis: A rock climber and a former cop investigate a suspicious death of a climber.

Review: I fell in love with the family at the start of this series, which is the real draw of these books, and that doesn’t change with Silenced. I was a little disappointed with the plotting--this duel plotline didn’t feel as cohesive as the plots of first three--but is still a good breath-catching suspense.

 
In addition to my normal reading, I’ve also challenged myself to read through part of the reading list I composed for ArtfulExposure, a list of worthwhile art. This month I covered 21 children’s books, primarily easy readers and beginning chapter books. Some of the old friends I revisited:
 

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess

Little Bear by Else Holmelund Minarik

Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat

Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel

Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant

The Littles by John Peterson


No comments: