Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Distractions

I’m being pulled apart.

A part-time job needs working. Five classes require preparation. Family and babysitting take time. Illness of friends calls me away. Church activities eat energy.

But I want to write. I want to tell stories. But I have no emotional capacity or time to do so. My passion has become so depleted it may as well be gone.

Distractions have led me away from my purpose, from what is important. My life needs to be refocused and the clutter removed. Balance must be restored. I need to learn to say no.

I don’t know completely how to do all this. Some commitments must be fulfilled. And people are important and I can’t simply withdraw from life. But I can do one simple thing, and that can lead to another and another. So maybe the passion will soon grow again.

For even baby steps can be steps in the right direction.

1 comment:

Keanan Brand said...

I totally identify with the busy-ness of one life that drains the creativity from the other life.

In my job, I've asked that extraneous duties be removed so that I can 1) focus on the work for which I was originally hired, and thus be able to excel at it, and 2) have time and energy left for writing.

"No" is such a short word, and yet one of the hardest for some of us to learn to say. I wish you the best in employing it!