Wednesday, November 7, 2018

November 2018 Writing Update


The world of a writer can move at a grindingly slow pace. As a result, I often don’t talk about what I’m up to as a writer because it could soon become tedious: I wrote a chapter. I revised a chapter. I revised the chapter again. I wrote another the chapter and revised it.

But in my attempt to avoid boredom, I may have gone from one extreme to another, never giving anything but the rarest glimpse into my work. So here is a little bit of what I am doing these days:

  • Over the summer I completed a major revision on the book I’ve been working on. Then at the end of September I submitted the manuscript to the publisher of Beast, and now I’m waiting to hear back from them.

  • I have started a new story, possibly the first of a science-fiction trilogy. Thus far I have done some prewriting—non-story writing that allows me to explore the world and characters—and written nine rough-draft chapters. I have no idea whether this story will go anywhere, but right now I’m enjoying the thrill of simply playing with words, worlds, and characters.

  • Beast continues to be available for purchase from a variety of places, including Amazon and my website. With Christmas less than two months away, why not consider purchasing a copy or two for Christmas gifts, exchanges, or giveaways? Of course, if you do purchase from me directly, you can always request I autograph and personalize the book in the “note to seller” portion of the order. (End of shameless plug)

  • I continue to read as well. Lately, I’ve been indulging in classic children’s literature, such as King of the Wind, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, and The Wheel on the School. But as always, I have some science-fiction and fantasy mixed in. The newly re-released Shivering World by Kathy Tyers, and book two of Priscilla Shirer’s Prince Warriors are a couple of my recent reads.

  • Finally, I’m looking forward toward homeschool conferences for the spring of 2019. Those plans are still in flex, so keep your eyes open for more information, coming soon!

No comments: