Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Bible and the Supernatural: An Introduction

The supernatural exists.
The supernatural intersects and interacts with the natural.

I fully believe both of these statements. Indeed, I must believe them, or my Christian faith would be nonsense. Moreover, as a reader and writer of fantasy, I frequently consider what the supernatural looks like and how it does interact with the natural. So I believe I can safely say that I’m no stranger to considering what the Bible says about the supernatural.

Nonetheless, my reading and life of this past year has revealed how much understanding I yet lack on this topic. This lack has challenged me to go deeper. So I have begun a study through the Bible, starting at Genesis. The intent of this study is to look at what God says about the supernatural in the order in which He says it, removing my own assumptions and presuppositions from the equation as much as I can. The result, I hope, will be a greater and more solid grasp of the biblical perspective on this topic.


Which brings me back to this blog. Writing often aligns my thoughts in a way nothing else can. Blogging gives me a disciplined approach to that writing. But even more, I have a hard time believing that I’m the only one who struggles with this topic and what God says about it. So as I learn, I hope to collect some of my thoughts and share them here in the coming weeks. 

No comments: