Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Meet Jonathan Rogers

Jonathan Rogers's work is fantasy written with a southern twang. As a result, his books for middle grade and tween readers are full of high adventure and humor, making his books a riot to read, even as an older reader.

His humor makes the Wilderking books an enjoyable read, yes, but what won me over was the lack of preachiness. It is very difficult to find a good mid-grade read in the Christian market which isn't obviously designed to teach a lesson. I was also impressed by the fact that I didn't find the book boringly predictable, a very hard feat when retelling a story as familiar as David and Goliath.

These books were out of print for a few years, so I love the fact that I can once again include them on my Imagination Investigation tables:

The Bark of the Bog Owl
The Secret of the Swamp King
The Way of the Wilderking

No comments: