Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Christmas Playlist: "Little Drummer Boy"

I think I've mentioned once or twice that I'm a story addict. So of course I can't neglect to include one of the most recorded story-songs out there: "Little Drummer Boy." Its theme of giving out what you have been given and Christ finding pleasure in that gift has always resonated deeply for me. Indeed, because of how it resonated with me, I had constructed a much different story than the film by the same name, and when I saw Little Drummer Boy by Rankin and Bass, the story put me off-kilter it was so different.

Anyway, more problematic today is choosing which version to include. Do I choose the folk-styled version by Burl Ives, or the classic duet by Bing Crosby and David Bowie? Or perhaps the version done for the Rankin & Bass film? Finally Josh Groban's rendition won out, just because it fit my mood today:

No comments: