Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Novel Progress

Eleven chapters are revised. Part one is done. And it seems like it has taken forever to reach this point on my current WIP.

It’s not that I’m not enjoying my story. I am. And I don’t mind revisions. But why do they have to take so long? That’s what I want to know. Especially when I’m under an unmovable deadline for a group more demanding, more terrifying, more unforgiving than I’ve ever dealt with before: teenage test readers.

Last fall, when I agreed to teach a literature course to some home-schooled high schoolers, I thought it would be fun, for both them and me, if the last book of the year was my current WIP. But now that the deadline is looming, I wonder, “What was I thinking?!”

Too late to back out now, though. After I’ve made them work hard to meet all the deadlines I’ve imposed, I do not want to imagine what would happen if I failed to make mine . . .

So I’m aiming to have major revisions done by May 1. That would then give me about a week and a half to do one more sweeping edit. Will I make it?

Time to dig in and find out.

1 comment:

Brandon Barr said...

Wow, that is an intense deadline :)