Friday, August 27, 2010

21 Books of Whimsy and Imagination

To wrap up this week, I thought that I would provide a list of science-fiction and fantasy books that have sparked my imagination throughout the years.

Some were written for adults. Some were written for kids. Some I read recently while others I haven’t read in years but remember loving at the time. Some writing is good and some is not all that great. Some of them are Christian, some have mixed content, and some are decidedly not Christian (the books which are non-Christian, according to my limited knowledge, are marked by an asterisk).

But each caught my fancy and gave my imagination wings at the time I read them. In no particular order:

*And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss

*Three Tales of My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

*Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye

Wilderking Trilogy by Jonathan Rogers

*James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L’Engle

The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald

Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson

*Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

DragonKeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul

Dragons in Our Midst/Oracles of Fire by Bryan Davis

Faery Rebels by R. J. Anderson

*Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

Echoes from the Edge by Bryan Davis

*The Hermit Thrush Sings by Susan Butler

The Outcasts of Skagaray  by Andrew Clarke

Blood of Kings by Jill Williamson

One Mind’s Eye by Kathy Tyers

Firebird Trilogy by Kathy Tyers

Dream Thief by Stephen Lawhead

No comments: